Go back to homepageWatch PubDef VideosAdvertise on PubDef.netA D French & Associates LLCContact Us
 

Watch PubDef.TV


"Best Blogger"
St. Louis Magazine

Featured on
Meet the Press and Fox News

Watch our Meet the Press moment

"One of the Most
Influential People
in Local Media."

STL Business Journal


SUPPORT PUBDEF.NET

Your $7.00 monthly contribution will go a long way to helping us expand the coverage and services you enjoy.


GET THE LATEST PUBDEF NEWS 24/7:

Name:
E-mail:




ABOUT PUB DEF

PUB DEF is a non-partisan, independent political blog based in the City of St. Louis, Missouri. Our goal is to cast a critical eye on lawmakers, their policies, and those that have influence upon them, and to educate our readers about legislation and the political processes that affect our daily lives.

CONTACT US

Do you have a press release, news tip or rumor to share?

editor@pubdef.net
Fax (314) 367-3429
Call (314) 779-9958

Tips are always 100% Confidential


Subscribe to our RSS feed

Creative Commons License


 

 

 

 

 

SOS: Technical Support Needed

By Antonio D. French

Filed Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 8:11 AM

As I am sometimes forced to do, I'm pulling out the ol' Bat-signal. Send aid, my techie brothers and sisters!

Yesterday I shot about two hours of great video, which I was planning to post over the next few days. I mean really good stuff here. Combest would've loved it.

But when I came back to edit it... (pause for effect)... disaster.

Dropping audio. Choppy video. WTF?! (See this video as an example.)

See, when I was running low on tape, I switched from SP to LP, allowing me 90 minutes of tape time instead of just 60. The bit I taped at SP (60 mins) is just fine, but the rest — and of course this was the best stuff too — is all messed up.

I use a Canon GL1 and Sony MiniDV tapes. Can I take the tape somewhere and have it imported on a different deck? Is there something I can do in Final Cut Pro?

Any suggestions?

Labels:

Link to this story


5 Comments:

Blogger Tom Leith said...

Hmmmm.

One possibilitiy: your computer is not fast enough to encode the video at the "faster" real-time frame rate of LP, and its dropping frames.

How does the tape play in the camera? If it plays OK in the camera, the data is all on the tape, and it would make me more strongly suspect the encoding path on your computer. Firewire --> CPU --> memory --> disk. Do you get any warnings from the software? If not, this further reinforces my hypothesis.

It is possible also that the camera itself is not "fast" enough to digitally-export LP data.

If you can get access to a specialized digital video editor, maybe you can import the LP data from the tape (or camera) onto that, and then import from there into your computer. If you have a friend with a faster computer, you could try that too.

The other work-around I can think of is to play-back the camera through its S-Video output, and frame-grab THAT (if you have frame-grabbing hardware). You will suffer a quality degradation and it will take you hours to do, but you'll have something usable for the web if not for an HD newscast.

I wouldn't use the Geek Squad logo wthout permission. They could get testy about that.

t

7/12/2007 11:38 AM

 
Blogger Antonio D. French said...

The video plays just as corrupted in the camera as after it imports. The problem is not with my computer.

I may try to track down someone with a variable speed deck.

Thanks.

7/12/2007 12:19 PM

 
Blogger Tom Leith said...

Yep, in this case I think a sophisticated digital video deck is your next step to try to read the tape. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

t

7/12/2007 12:27 PM

 
Blogger rcomfort said...

Antonio: Never, ever, use 12 bit (32 khz) setting on your camera. FCP, Premier, Avid programs insert zeros to make up the required 16 bit sound. You might try putting your camera back in 32 khz speed then capture from your camera using its analog (RCA)outputs. FCP will then then convert the analog signal back to 16 bit 48 khz sound. Roland Comfort

7/13/2007 6:58 AM

 
Blogger cleeland said...

Tom Leith, it's unclear to me what you mean when you suggest that the computer has to encode the video; no encoding should be required when importing DV straight. Only after import is a conversion made; most computers aren't fast enough to perform realtime streaming conversion from DV to another format unless they employ special hardware specifically for that purpose.

I'm also confused as to what you mean by the camera not being "fast" enough to export the data.

I admit that I'm not a digital video expert, so if you have references to something that supports your statements I'd like to read it so I can learn.

7/13/2007 2:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The 23rd Annual Wine and Roses Ball

The 23rd Annual Wine and Roses Ball

PubDef.net is looking for cameramen.



The Royale Foods & Spirits

Visit the PUB DEF Store



Advertise on Pub Def

 

 

 

Google
 
Web www.pubdef.net