Go back to homepageWatch PubDef VideosAdvertise on PubDef.netA D French & Associates LLCContact Us
 

Watch PubDef.TV


"Best Blogger"
St. Louis Magazine

Featured on
Meet the Press and Fox News

Watch our Meet the Press moment

"One of the Most
Influential People
in Local Media."

STL Business Journal


SUPPORT PUBDEF.NET

Your $7.00 monthly contribution will go a long way to helping us expand the coverage and services you enjoy.


GET THE LATEST PUBDEF NEWS 24/7:

Name:
E-mail:




ABOUT PUB DEF

PUB DEF is a non-partisan, independent political blog based in the City of St. Louis, Missouri. Our goal is to cast a critical eye on lawmakers, their policies, and those that have influence upon them, and to educate our readers about legislation and the political processes that affect our daily lives.

CONTACT US

Do you have a press release, news tip or rumor to share?

editor@pubdef.net
Fax (314) 367-3429
Call (314) 779-9958

Tips are always 100% Confidential


Subscribe to our RSS feed

Creative Commons License


 

 

 

 

 

Technical Support

By Antonio D. French

Filed Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 9:45 AM

Okay, this message goes out to our more techno-knowledgeable readers. We're looking for a new host for our websites. Any recommendations? (And don't say Sectorlink. We hate them now.)

Labels:

Link to this story


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I have been using Dreamhost for several years now. They are very generous with bandwidth and space, are reliable and very afordable. I host everything I do there including most of my videos. They also have one click installs of Wordpress and several other useful site management tools.

I set up a discount code you can use if you choose to sign up use LOFISTL2 and get $50 off your first year of hosting, plans start at $7.95 a month if you pay for a year in advance. $9.95 if you go month to month.

11/14/2006 10:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to give you the URL: Dreamhost.com

11/14/2006 10:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll back up Bill on this, I wish there were local hosting/colo companies that hadn't broken my heart in the past.

Dreamhost is awful good and will do just about everything you need. Make sure you check their bandwidth costs. With the sudden traffic spikes I assume you get, ya don't wanna be screwed with a surprise $500 bill.

11/14/2006 11:05 AM

 
Blogger Antonio D. French said...

Funny you should say that Ben, 'cause a big ol' surprise is exactly what Sectorlink stuck me with. A year's worth of hosting cost on a single bill!

11/14/2006 12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah bandwidth considerations are important. I see that most of your large media files are hosted off site so that helps a lot. But like I said I host most of my vids at Dreamhost and I've never made a dent in my bandwidth with them--and that's serving 15+ gigs a day!

11/14/2006 2:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap - sorry to hear that news.

I've had excellent service from midPhase. When I did have an issue or question, their support staff was highly responsive, even on Sunday night. I've used about 8 different providers over the years and no one could touch midPhase when it came to support.

Pricing/services aren't bad either.

$7.95/mo, 1.5 terabyte bandwidth limit, 25 gig storage.
For $11.95/mo, unlimited bandwidth, 35 gig of storage.

(both Linux based)
Check them out:
http://midphase.com/html_files/hosting_plan.php

11/14/2006 2:50 PM

 
Blogger Antonio D. French said...

Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning towards Dreamhost. Just one more question: How are the traffic reports? Do they give you a pretty good breakdown?

11/14/2006 3:45 PM

 
Blogger Doug Duckworth said...

Godaddy is also excellent.

They range from 4 dollars to 12 dollars a month depending on services.

11/14/2006 4:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Antonio, you should always be able to get at your logs and use any of upteen billion free log analyzer programs to see pretty charts and graphs about your traffic.

Also Google's free web analyzer service is excellent.

11/14/2006 5:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Traffic reports are good. They use a standard Apache server log script, they produce daily, weekly, monthly stats. I can send you a sample of my stats if you like. I also use google analytics and extreme tracking as second and third sources of tracking data.

11/14/2006 7:42 PM

 
Blogger Michael R. Allen said...

I join the crowd of Dreamhost users. Very, very reliable with good stats.

11/16/2006 12:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use powweb.com. They have good rates and good service. They do require a year, but I have been with them for 3 years and they have only gotten better. They are about 7.95/mo. They have an enormous amount of bandwith and space, databases, subdomains, etc.

11/16/2006 9:54 PM

 
Blogger Antonio D. French said...

Okay, finally made the switch. Thanks all.

I chose Dreamhost.

Bill, I used your code and saved $50. Thanks.

11/28/2006 5:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The 23rd Annual Wine and Roses Ball

The 23rd Annual Wine and Roses Ball

PubDef.net is looking for cameramen.



The Royale Foods & Spirits

Visit the PUB DEF Store



Advertise on Pub Def

 

 

 

Google
 
Web www.pubdef.net