Go back to homepageWatch PubDef VideosAdvertise on PubDef.netA D French & Associates LLCContact Us
 

Watch PubDef.TV


"Best Blogger"
St. Louis Magazine

Featured on
Meet the Press and Fox News

Watch our Meet the Press moment

"One of the Most
Influential People
in Local Media."

STL Business Journal


SUPPORT PUBDEF.NET

Your $7.00 monthly contribution will go a long way to helping us expand the coverage and services you enjoy.


GET THE LATEST PUBDEF NEWS 24/7:

Name:
E-mail:




ABOUT PUB DEF

PUB DEF is a non-partisan, independent political blog based in the City of St. Louis, Missouri. Our goal is to cast a critical eye on lawmakers, their policies, and those that have influence upon them, and to educate our readers about legislation and the political processes that affect our daily lives.

CONTACT US

Do you have a press release, news tip or rumor to share?

editor@pubdef.net
Fax (314) 367-3429
Call (314) 779-9958

Tips are always 100% Confidential


Subscribe to our RSS feed

Creative Commons License


 

 

 

 

 

Weekly Print Edition

By Antonio D. French

Filed Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 9:45 PM

Here's the latest print edition of PUB DEF Weekly -- and boy, do we mean latest. We've been throwing so much news up here on the website, Nicky B. can barely keep up.

Most of this issue is full of stuff from last week, but still download and print it. Drop off some copies at City Hall, your neighborhood coffee shop, or give a copy to an old person who doesn't know "what all the fuss is about them fancy com'pooters and Innerwebs."

Labels:

Link to this story


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This email was sent to a friend of mine and she sent it to me. It came from Mayor Slay's office.

During a recent radio interview on Majic’s “Sunday Morning Live” program, members of F.I.R.E. made a number of false allegations against me and my administration concerning the St. Louis Fire Department. I think it is important that you know the truth.

I do not now, nor have I ever, wanted to fire Chief Sherman George. People who have followed my career know that I have made changes in my administration when I felt they were necessary. If I wanted to fire Chief George, I would have done so at the start of my second term. I didn’t.

It is true that we hold all of our department heads, divisional leaders, and managers accountable—regardless of race or gender. The taxpayers expect and demand that of me and all elected officials. I demand it of every member of my administration from the receptionist to the chief of staff. My administration works every day to deliver City services more effective and efficient. The Fire Department is no exception. A few years ago, I was criticized for asking Chief George to investigate a number of accidents. What people do not remember is that the Chief’s own investigation found that every single accident could have been prevented. Since that time, the numbers of accidents in the Fire Department have dropped.

Our customers deserve the best service we can provide with the resources we have. When people want to invest money in our neighborhoods, hire our residents, redevelop dilapidated buildings, or build new housing, they want us to do our jobs professionally, in a timely manner, and in a way that protects public safety. I expect that as well. My administration is committed to providing excellent service to our customers and to protect public safety. I will never compromise safety or take short cuts.

Members of F.I.R.E. also tried to blame me for the end of the City’s practice of hiring the same number of African American and white firefighters. They know that is groundless and not true. My administration fought to keep the 50-50 hiring practice in place. We defended it in court. Unfortunately, a federal judge ruled against us. We are now appealing his ruling.

Some people like to compare the decision-making authority of Chief George to that of Chief Mokwa. It is like apples and oranges. The Police Department is a State agency. The Police Chief reports to the Police Board, not the Mayor of the City of St. Louis. Under the City Charter, the Fire Chief reports to the Director of Public Safety, who then reports to the Mayor. I have lobbied the state legislature and the governor to give us our police department back. So far, they have declined.

Our City is undergoing a revitalization that is being recognized by the rest of the country. Our City is growing after five decades of losing population to the suburbs. We have witnessed new housing and new opportunities in every corner of the City. Our City is a better place today than five years ago. I am convinced it will be even better five years from now.

There are people who want to reverse that progress for their own political gain. I only ask that when allegations are made against me and my administration, you keep an open mind until you learn all of the facts.

Thank you very much for everything you do to make St. Louis a more economically sound and culturally diverse city.

6/18/2006 8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The 23rd Annual Wine and Roses Ball

The 23rd Annual Wine and Roses Ball

PubDef.net is looking for cameramen.



The Royale Foods & Spirits

Visit the PUB DEF Store



Advertise on Pub Def

 

 

 

Google
 
Web www.pubdef.net